Join the Team/Job Postings
Assistant Technical Director
Sony Imageworks Vancouver is looking for an Assistant Technical Director to join our team.
Reporting to the VFX and CG Supervisors, an Assistant Technical Director (ATD) will be involved in the creation and ongoing support of a large high-end visual effects pipeline and asset/project management system, as well as application tools and utilities. This is a service-oriented role and the ATD should have a helpful, patient and accommodating personality.
- Develop and maintain scripts, tools and utilities for 3D and 2D artists.
- Work in and understand the SPI's proprietary pipeline
- Create, package, document and release tools for production use
- Help author production specific training materials for new hires
- Assist artists with technical issues anywhere in the production pipeline.
- Assist teams to optimize and reduce render times for various render passes
- Work as “triage” from time-to-time, acting as the point person for any and all production-related queries to the pipeline department.
- Identify workflow inefficiencies and work with artists and other pipeline teams to build scripts, tools and/or systems to improve these inefficiencies
- Strong interest in Film, Lighting and/or Compositing a plus
- Good Knowledge of at least one or more of the following 2D/3D software packages such as Maya, Katana, Houdini, XSi and Nuke
- Programming experience, preferably in Python, Lau, C++.
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Bash/cshell/Linux knowledge
- Experience in code-sharing, revision control a plus
- Experience with the Arnold or any other ray-traced base renders such as Vray, Mantra, Renderman or Mental Ray.
- Some experience writing shaders is a plus
- Some basic knowledge or experience as a 3D or 2D artist a plus
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Computing Science a plus
This is a full-time, contract position requiring periodic overtime. Canadian or Canadian Permanent Residents are preferred. Position based in Vancouver, BC.
To Apply: Please submit a reel and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Growth Opportunities for advancement
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- Assistant Technical Director
- Artist Management Coordinator
- Color Scientist
- Experienced Animator
- Pipeline TD
- Experienced Pipeline TD
- Texture Artist
- Experienced Texture Artist
- FX Artist
- Experienced FX Artist
- Experienced Lighter
- Experienced Modeler
- Character FX TD
- Experienced Character FX TD
- Experienced Compositor
- Matte Painter
- Experienced Matte Painter
- Layout Artist
- Experienced Layout Artist
- Experienced Rigger
- Software Engineer (for Web development)
- Software Engineer (for Desktop Apps)
- Senior Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- Intermediate Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- DATA INFASTRUCTURE SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- RENDER EFFICIENCY ENGINEER - ARNOLD TEAM
- RENDERING ENGINEER - ARNOLD
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- CHARACTER ANIMATION PIPELINE ENGINEER
- Production Tracking Developer
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- SHADER WRITER
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned