Join the Team/Job Postings
SENIOR ORACLE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
Sony Pictures Imageworks is expanding! We are experiencing rapid growth in our Vancouver office as we anticipate moving into our brand new state of the art facility in early 2015. At Imageworks we create groundbreaking visual effects and animation for motion pictures. We are looking for a dynamic and energetic Infrastructure Software Engineer to join the team at Imageworks Canada.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
You will support and maintain our various Oracle and other database systems. You will perform maintenance and upgrades when necessary and provide daytoday administration as well as provide offhours support.
Our database infrastructure includes multiple databases, spanning across a total of around 20 clustered servers. We primarily utilize Oracle, but also have servers running PostgreSQL, MySQL, and Cassandra.
This isn’t your average DBA position! The rigors of our production workflow stress our our database infrastructure in ways which are not typically seen in more traditional business use cases. These workflows provide a dynamic and everchanging landscape of challenges to our database systems, and we are looking for someone interested in being an active participant in the support, problem solving and solution design which drive our business needs.
As a large Visual Effects and Animation studio, almost every aspect of our production pipeline relies heavily these databases, including our render farm, production tracking and scheduling, and data management. You will be responsible for keeping these services running at a high volume, maximizing uptime, and tuning the performance to meet production needs.
The Database Administrator position is part of our Infrastructure Development group, and you will work closely with the other engineers in that group, as well as the Systems Engineering group, working to build and improve the digital infrastructure of the studio.
- BS in Computer Science, information technology or related discipline or equivalent work experience
- Eight (8) or more years’ significant Oracle database administration experience
- Oracle certified DBA 10g or above
- Must be an expert in Oracle database administration and must have worked in Unix/Linux environments
- Must be strong in Oracle Real Application Clusters(RAC)
- Must be strong in Oracle SQL and PL/SQL scripting(Packages, triggers, stored procedures, etc), debugging and tuning
- Strong in Oracle Standby, High Availability, Snapshot technologies, partitioning, and RMAN
- Experience in Python and shell scripting.
- Experience supporting and implementing Disaster Recovery solutions.
- Working knowledge of Linux system administration is required
- Experience using NAS/SAN storage technologies, especially Network Appliances(Netapp)
- Proficient in troubleshooting both application and database issues.
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral
- Energetic and self motivated team player with ability to work effectively and cooperatively with project and infrastructure teams
- Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid/Cloud Control
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Core Infrastructure team is responsible for designing, writing and maintaining threetier applications and services used by the entire company. Imageworks has a compute farm with thousands of cores and very large amounts of storage to manage.
Some of the problems and issues the team works on include:
1) How to write a distributed multisite asset management system that can handle network outages between locations, and across continents?
2) How to use new distributed databases, e.g., Cassandra, to solve multifacility, multimaster database problems?
3) How to manage vast amounts of storage spread over different types of hardware and efficiently and properly assign the correct storage medium to the type of data that is being stored? How to migrate assets created in one location, to another across great distances?
4) How to make the best use of thousands of compute cores when there are very disparate requirements for the processes that need to run? Some processes are multida and multithreaded others are only minutes on a single core. How to run all of these processes without disrupting other parts of the infrastructure?
We are interested in selflearners who enjoy developing and using new technologies to solve design problems and have deployed those solutions in production environments, preferably in the Visual Effects, Animation or related industry. Developers who have worked on opensource projects and enjoy writing highquality code that the entire facility depends upon are encouraged to apply.
Sony Pictures Imageworks produces highend visual effects for movies, such as the SpiderMan movies, Oz the Great and Powerful. The company's work has been recognized with numerous awards and nominations, including the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects for SpiderMan 2.
Imageworks proved its allCG character animation and production capabilities with the animated short, The ChubbChubbs! which won an Academy Award. Surf's Up received an Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Feature. Imageworks is unique in its ability to provide quality digital production for live action, allCG, motion capture and hybrid liveaction/animated films. Imageworks prides itself as a community of artists supporting the imagination and expression of visual storytellers.
Today, Imageworks is unique in its ability to provide quality digital production for live action, allCG, motion capture and hybrid liveaction/animated films. Its community of innovative digital artists and computer technologists collaborate creatively with filmmakers, helping them to bring their vision from the storyboard to the theater and delight audiences around the globe.
To apply, please send your CV/resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the email subject line.
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- SENIOR ORACLE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
- PEOPLE & ORGANIZATION (HR) MANAGER
- DIGITAL PRODUCTION ACCOUNTANT FINANCE - SONY PICTURES DIGITAL PRODUCTIONS
- SHADER WRITER
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- CHARACTER ANIMATION PIPELINE ENGINEER
- TEXTURE AND MATTE PAINTING ENGINEER
- FX SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
- GRAPHICS SOFTWARE DEVELOPER - NUKE PIPELINE
- Production Tracking Developer
- Senior Software Engineer:
- SYSTEMS ENGINEER (YVR)
- SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER (UNIX)
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- HELP DESK ADMINISTRATOR
- PRINCIPAL SYSTEMS ENGINEER (UNIX)
- TEXTURE PAINTER
- CHARACTER TD - PIPELINE
- CHARACTER TD - SETUP/RIGGER
- TECHNICAL DIRECTORS - Color & Lighting
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - Hair/Fur/Cloth/Feather Simulation
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - FX
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned