Join the Team/Job Postings
FX SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
The FX Software Development Engineer is responsible for the creation of production software and pipeline-related tools and solutions focused in the area of FX animation and simulation. The position requires strong software development skills, expertise in one or more programming languages, and the ability to design high quality, robust, and easy to maintain code and tools. The engineer is primarily responsible for development and implementation of production and studio tools under the guidance of a departmental lead. This position requires collaboration with other engineering staff, project managers, and production users to develop and implement innovative studio capabilities.
- Experience programming in C/C++, python
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience with UNIX / LINUX
- Ability to design and implement systems in a complex library
- Knowledge of user interface design and standard UI toolkits, specifically QT/pyQT
- Ability to learn and work independently and in a nimble team environment
- Proven ability to deliver high quality software in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Strong understanding of computer graphics concepts and both pipeline and tool development for Houdini, and/or Maya.
- 3-5 years of feature film or video game production focused engineering experience
- 3-5 years of experience with Houdini and/or Maya API’s
- Up-to-date knowledge of state of the art 3rd party and open source solvers, Bullet, Physx, Naiad, DMM etc..
- Multi-threaded and CUDA development and optimization
- Computational geometry
About the Team: Backend Dev: The Backend Development team works closely with artists in rendering, compositing, stereo, color science and fx. We support both off-the-shelf and proprietary tools, developing the workflows that help artists efficiently create amazing images for film.
Some of the types of tasks associated with our group include:
- Core technology growth in our Katana lighting tool, working closely with The Foundry’s Katana engineers.
- Ongoing contributions to open source projects like OpenColorIO, OpenImageIO, OSL, Alembic, and more.
- GPU implementations for visualization of assets.
- Support color integration for all shows and outside vendors as well.
- Creating cutting-edge, next generation rendering algorithms within our version of Arnold.
- Reducing the time to first pixel as well as finding efficiencies through more streamlined toolsets.
- Leveraging and honing OSL to produce easy-to-use, realistic shaders that just look good out of the box.
- Integrating Houdini and Maya tools to our fx pipeline. Visualizing fx elements within Katana and Arnold.
- Continuously improving toolsets, as needs arise, for show driven technology requirements.
Those with a penchant for assessing artist workflow limitations, and the aptitude to implement a cohesive solution, are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send your CV/resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the email subject line.
Sony Pictures Imageworks produces high-end visual effects for movies, such as the The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Edge of Tomorrow, and Oz the Great and Powerful. The company's work has been recognized with numerous awards and nominations, including the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects for Spider-Man 2.
Imageworks proved its all-CG character animation and production capabilities with the animated short, The ChubbChubbs! which won an Academy Award. Surf's Up received an Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Feature. Imageworks is unique in its ability to provide quality digital production for live action, all-CG, motion capture and hybrid live-action/animated films. Imageworks prides itself as a community of artists supporting the imagination and expression of visual storytellers.
Today, Imageworks is unique in its ability to provide quality digital production for live action, all-CG, motion capture and hybrid live-action/animated films. Its community of innovative digital artists and computer technologists collaborate creatively with filmmakers, helping them to bring their vision from the storyboard to the theater and delight audiences around the globe.
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- ASSOCIATE DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Vancouver)
- VFX EDITOR (Vancouver)
- SENIOR ORACLE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
- DIGITAL PRODUCTION ACCOUNTANT FINANCE - SONY PICTURES DIGITAL PRODUCTIONS
- SHADER WRITER
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- CHARACTER ANIMATION PIPELINE ENGINEER
- TEXTURE AND MATTE PAINTING ENGINEER
- FX SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
- GRAPHICS SOFTWARE DEVELOPER - NUKE PIPELINE
- Production Tracking Developer
- Senior Software Engineer
- SYSTEMS ENGINEER (YVR)
- SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER (UNIX)
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- HELP DESK ADMINISTRATOR
- PRINCIPAL SYSTEMS ENGINEER (UNIX)
- TEXTURE PAINTER
- CHARACTER TD - PIPELINE
- CHARACTER TD - SETUP/RIGGER
- TECHNICAL DIRECTORS - Color & Lighting
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - Hair/Fur/Cloth/Feather Simulation
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - FX
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned