Join the Team/Job Postings
FX SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
Sony Pictures Imageworks is expanding! We are experiencing rapid growth in our Vancouver office as we move into our brand new state of the art facility. At Imageworks we create groundbreaking visual effects and animation for motion pictures. We are looking for a dynamic and energetic Infrastructure Software Engineer to join the team at Imageworks Canada.
What You'll be doing:
You will meet with artists to see how a tool should perform or is underperforming, then drive implementation, and roll out software to address these issues. You’ll Keep abreast of industry changes and integrate new, and novel solutions to address show requests, as well as integrate 3rd party tools into our robust framework to push the envelope of cutting-edge fx work.
You’ll be working beside top-notch fx artists in the industry, helping them push the boundaries of fx looks and development. Each new film provides great challenge and opportunity to advance the state of the art in fx film making. Often tools are needed just for one shot or sequence to realize a filmmaker's vision, and your contribution will have a visual manifestation on screen, to be seen by scores of movie-goers.
You will enjoy an ever changing problem set that will keep you alert to new solutions. Learn in a dynamic environment alongside FX TD’s, as well as working with other engineers within the Development Group. Find new and inventive ways to help manage the continual expansion of data needed to put the most realistic fx simulations on screen. You can also contribute to other disciplines within the software group, according to your interests.
- Experience programming in C/C++, python
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience with UNIX / LINUX
- Ability to design and implement systems in a complex library
- Knowledge of user interface design and standard UI toolkits, specifically QT/pyQT
- Ability to learn and work independently and in a nimble team environment
- Proven ability to deliver high quality software in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Strong understanding of computer graphics concepts and both pipeline and tool development for Houdini, and/or Maya.
- 3-5 years of feature film or video game production focused engineering experience
- 3-5 years of experience with Houdini and/or Maya API’s
- Up-to-date knowledge of state of the art 3rd party and open source solvers, Bullet, Physx, Naiad, DMM etc..
- Multi-threaded and CUDA development and optimization
- Computational geometry
About the Team: Backend Dev: The Backend Development team works closely with artists in rendering, compositing, stereo, color science and fx. We support both off-the-shelf and proprietary tools, developing the workflows that help artists efficiently create amazing images for film.
Some of the types of tasks associated with our group include:
- Core technology growth in our Katana lighting tool, working closely with The Foundry’s Katana engineers.
- Ongoing contributions to open source projects like OpenColorIO, OpenImageIO, OSL, Alembic, and more.
- GPU implementations for visualization of assets.
- Support color integration for all shows and outside vendors as well.
- Creating cutting-edge, next generation rendering algorithms within our version of Arnold.
- Reducing the time to first pixel as well as finding efficiencies through more streamlined toolsets.
- Leveraging and honing OSL to produce easy-to-use, realistic shaders that just look good out of the box.
- Integrating Houdini and Maya tools to our fx pipeline. Visualizing fx elements within Katana and Arnold.
- Continuously improving toolsets, as needs arise, for show driven technology requirements.
Those with a penchant for assessing artist workflow limitations, and the aptitude to implement a cohesive solution, are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send your CV/resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the email subject line.
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- VFX EDITOR (Vancouver)
- Senior Digital Production Accountant Finance
- Associate Digital Production Accountant Finance
- DATA INFASTRUCTURE SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- COLOR SCIENTIST
- RENDER EFFICIENCY ENGINEER - ARNOLD TEAM
- RENDERING ENGINEER - ARNOLD
- SOFTWARE ENGINEER - FACIAL RIGGING
- TECHNOLOGY MANAGER
- SHADER WRITER
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- CHARACTER ANIMATION PIPELINE ENGINEER
- FX SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
- Production Tracking Developer
- Senior Software Engineer
- SYSTEMS ENGINEER (YVR)
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- HELP DESK ADMINISTRATOR
- TEXTURE PAINTER
- CHARACTER TD - PIPELINE
- CHARACTER TD - SETUP/RIGGER
- TECHNICAL DIRECTORS - Color & Lighting
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - Hair/Fur/Cloth/Feather Simulation
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - FX
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned