Join the Team/Job Postings
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Sony Pictures Imageworks is looking for senior software engineers to join our Vancouver, Canada development team. The position requires strong software development skills, expertise in one or more programming languages, and the ability to design high quality, robust, and easy to maintain code and tools. The engineer is primarily responsible for development and implementation of production and studio tools under the guidance of a departmental lead. This position requires collaboration with other engineering staff, project managers, and production artists to develop and implement innovative studio capabilities.
- Experience programming in C/C++ and python
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience with UNIX / LINUX
- Ability to design and implement systems in a complex library
- Knowledge of user interface design and standard UI toolkits, specifically QT/PyQT.
- Proven ability to deliver high quality software in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Understanding of large-scale digital production for Animation and Visual Effects.
- Understanding of computer graphics concepts and plugin development for DCC platforms.
- Understanding of file formats and data representations used in Animation and Visual Effects.
5-7 years of experience creating libraries, custom plug-ins and UI tools for Animation or Visual Effects.
Who we are:
The Dev Group acts as authors, collaborators and gatekeepers of the Imageworks pipeline and software. We work with productions to develop tools and technology that make our images great. Our engineering expertise spans the entire artist workflow, as well as the tools Imageworks uses to manage its assets and track it’s productions. We have a variety of technical challenges and are looking for individuals from varying backgrounds and expertise to provide diverse voices for creative engineering solutions.
If you are interested in things like:
- Managing huge environments made up of thousands of assets, and determining how best to interact with them in a software package like Maya, with multiple departments modifying the scene simultaneously.
- Writing tools and Maya plugins for the creative manipulation of hair and cloth simulated elements.
- Integrating Houdini and Maya tools into our fx pipeline.
- GPU implementations for visualization of assets.
- Core technology growth in our Katana lighting tool, working closely with The Foundry’s Katana engineers.
- Reducing the time to first pixel as well as finding efficiencies through more streamlined toolsets.
- Using new distributed databases to solve multi-facility, multi-master database problems.
- Managing and assigning hundreds of terabytes of storage efficiently relative to data type.
- Making the most efficient use of thousands of cores when very disparate jobs need to run on them simultaneously.
- Writing a distributed multi-site asset management system.
- Ongoing contributions to open source projects like OpenColorIO, OpenImageIO, OSL, Alembic, and more.
Sony Pictures Imageworks produces high-end visual effects for movies, such as the The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Edge of Tomorrow, and Oz the Great and Powerful. The company's work has been recognized with numerous awards and nominations, including the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects for Spider-Man 2.
Imageworks proved its all-CG character animation and production capabilities with the animated short, The ChubbChubbs! which won an Academy Award. Surf's Up received an Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Feature. Imageworks is unique in its ability to provide quality digital production for live action, all-CG, motion capture and hybrid live-action/animated films. Imageworks prides itself as a community of artists supporting the imagination and expression of visual storytellers.
Today, Imageworks is unique in its ability to provide quality digital production for live action, all-CG, motion capture and hybrid live-action/animated films. Its community of innovative digital artists and computer technologists collaborate creatively with filmmakers, helping them to bring their vision from the storyboard to the theater and delight audiences around the globe.
If interested please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- SENIOR ORACLE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
- DIGITAL PRODUCTION ACCOUNTANT FINANCE - SONY PICTURES DIGITAL PRODUCTIONS
- SHADER WRITER
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- CHARACTER ANIMATION PIPELINE ENGINEER
- TEXTURE AND MATTE PAINTING ENGINEER
- FX SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
- GRAPHICS SOFTWARE DEVELOPER - NUKE PIPELINE
- Production Tracking Developer
- Senior Software Engineer
- SYSTEMS ENGINEER (YVR)
- SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER (UNIX)
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- HELP DESK ADMINISTRATOR
- PRINCIPAL SYSTEMS ENGINEER (UNIX)
- TEXTURE PAINTER
- CHARACTER TD - PIPELINE
- CHARACTER TD - SETUP/RIGGER
- TECHNICAL DIRECTORS - Color & Lighting
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - Hair/Fur/Cloth/Feather Simulation
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - FX
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned