Join the Team/Job Postings
SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER (UNIX)
Sony Pictures Imageworks Canada, an industry leading Visual Effects and Animation studio located in Vancouver, is seeking Senior Systems Engineers. Systems Engineering is responsible for first- and second-level support of 1,000+ users in a dynamic, high-performance production environment. The job demands astute and critical thinking coupled with Linux systems engineering to develop solutions for a unique industry combining high performance computing with digital artistry and storytelling. You will participate in projects utilizing new technologies in the areas of large-scale systems administration and engineering including building, configuring, installing, deploying and supporting workstations, servers and large scale storage systems. We are building a high performance global digital workflow for visual effects and animation production and this is a great opportunity to work on technically challenging projects in a very creative work environment comprised of talented engineers and artists.
Primary areas of responsibility will include:
- Installation, deployment and maintenance of hardware, operating systems and software.
- Initiation of and participation in departmental and site-wide engineering projects.
- Specification, documentation and communication of requirements for engineering tasks across the enterprise.
- Technical assistance to a wide range of end users in a customer-service oriented organization.
- Mentoring to and advice on best practices for Systems Engineering personnel throughout the department.
- After hours, holiday and weekend support on-call 24/7 as scheduled in rotation with other engineers.
The successful candidate possesses:
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written. This includes the ability to provide thorough written documentation.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to perform as an individual and on a team.
- Scripting and programming abilities that maximize efficiency in daily tasks.
- Self-guided triage and follow-through skills to best respond to assigned duties.
Education, Skills & Certifications:
- Degree in Computer Science or in a related field. Significant industry experience may be substituted.
- Seven years of UNIX/Linux experience in a production environment.
- Four to six years experience in a large, high-performance technical computing site.
- Three years experience in installation, deployment and maintenance of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 workstations and servers.
- Experience in supporting mission-critical systems to ensure high availability.
- Programming ability in either of Tk or Perl, and the ability to write small C programs.
- Extensive networking experience with TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, LDAP and other directory services, used across local and wide-area/metro-area networks of varying topologies.
- Hands-on experience with large-scale backup solutions and storage technologies.
- Direct experience with multi-terabyte Netapp (or other) SAN installations is a plus.
If interested please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- ASSOCIATE DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Vancouver)
- VFX EDITOR (Vancouver)
- SENIOR ORACLE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
- DIGITAL PRODUCTION ACCOUNTANT FINANCE - SONY PICTURES DIGITAL PRODUCTIONS
- SHADER WRITER
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- CHARACTER ANIMATION PIPELINE ENGINEER
- TEXTURE AND MATTE PAINTING ENGINEER
- FX SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER
- GRAPHICS SOFTWARE DEVELOPER - NUKE PIPELINE
- Production Tracking Developer
- Senior Software Engineer
- SYSTEMS ENGINEER (YVR)
- SENIOR SYSTEMS ENGINEER (UNIX)
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- HELP DESK ADMINISTRATOR
- PRINCIPAL SYSTEMS ENGINEER (UNIX)
- TEXTURE PAINTER
- CHARACTER TD - PIPELINE
- CHARACTER TD - SETUP/RIGGER
- TECHNICAL DIRECTORS - Color & Lighting
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - Hair/Fur/Cloth/Feather Simulation
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - FX
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned