Join the Team/Job Postings
DATA INFASTRUCTURE SOFTWARE ENGINEER
Sony Pictures Imageworks is expanding! We are experiencing rapid growth in our Vancouver office as we move into our brand new state of the art facility. At Imageworks we create groundbreaking visual effects and animation for motion pictures. We are looking for a dynamic and energetic Infrastructure Software Engineer to join the team at Imageworks Canada.
What You'll be doing:
You'll be extending and maintaining the virtual directory management system, the tool-sets devoted to restoring and backing-up data, as well as the tools that enable file/data transfers between tiered storage. You will collaborate with users to help define workflows which improve the efficiency and management of large scale visual effects and animation production. You will be responsible for QA and helping to triage and solve complex issues as they arise. You will also be responsible for deployment and operations of your services, including some off-hours on-call time. All new large-scale applications are being written in Scala with a large dose of Python client-side scripting.
Skills: Required: Python, Java, network programming, multi-threading, strong debugging skills, extensive database experience, bash
Nice to have: Scala, C++, ZeroC ICE or other RPC frameworks, reactive programming, previous experience with open source technologies, OpenGL
Databases: Required: experience with any of the following: Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL
Nice to have: Cassandra, Solr, and/or HBASE
Source Control: Experience with any of the following version control systems: Git, Subversion, Mercurial
Strong Unix command line and scripting skills
- Development and testing of applications to enhance user experience of products
- Flexible and willing to do different things
- Experience working in a task driven environment with adherence to strict delivery deadlines
- Working in a team structure and being open to assisting in other tasks (other platform development)
- 3-5 years of commercial experience, preferably in the Visual Effects / Animation or related industry
About the Team: The Core Infrastructure team is responsible for designing, writing and maintaining three-tier applications and services used by the entire company. Imageworks has a compute farm with thousands of cores and very large amounts of storage to manage.
Some of the types of tasks associated with our group include:
1) How to write a distributed multi-site asset management system that can handle network outages between locations, and across continents?
2) How to use new distributed databases, e.g., Cassandra, to solve multi-facility, multi-master database problems?
3) How to manage vast amounts of storage spread over different types of hardware and efficiently and properly assign the correct storage medium to the type of data that is being stored? How to migrate assets created in one location, to another across great distances?
4) How to make the best use of thousands of compute cores when there are very disparate requirements for the processes that need to run? Some processes are multi-day and multi-threaded others are only minutes on a single core. How to run all of these processes without disrupting other parts of the infrastructure?
We are interested in self-learners who enjoy developing and using new technologies to solve design problems and have deployed those solutions in production environments, preferably in the Visual Effects, Animation or related industry. Developers who have worked on open-source projects and enjoy writing high-quality code that the entire facility depends upon are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send your CV/resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the email subject line.
- Growth Opportunities for advancement
- PRODUCTION SERVICES TECHNICIAN
- Software Engineer - Texture and Matte Painting
- Senior Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- Intermediate Systems Engineer (UNIX)
- DATA INFASTRUCTURE SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- RENDER EFFICIENCY ENGINEER - ARNOLD TEAM
- RENDERING ENGINEER - ARNOLD
- SENIOR VFX COORDINATOR
- CHARACTER ANIMATION PIPELINE ENGINEER
- Production Tracking Developer
- SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER
- CHARACTER TD - PIPELINE
- CHARACTER TD - SETUP/RIGGER
- TECHNICAL DIRECTOR - Hair/Fur/Cloth/Feather Simulation
Qualified candidates should send their materials to:
Sony Pictures Imageworks
Attention: Human Resources
9050 W. Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
Fax: (310) 840-8888
All artist submissions MUST contain the following:
- Cover Letter which states the position you are applying for and your availability
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio (if applicable to the position)
- Demo Reel and/or Portfolio Breakdown which describes your specific contributions to the work
**Please be sure NOT to send original materials, as submissions will not be returned.**
Submission Tips & Guidelines
- Reels should be on DVD or VHS (NTSC) - Beta or PAL will not be accepted
- Do not send CD ROMS or refer us to a website - hardcopy submissions only
- Reels should be clearly labeled with your name and contact information
- The length of your reel should be limited to 5 minutes and consist of the work you're most proud of beginning with your most recent work
- Music should not contain vocals unless lip-syncing skills are illustrated
- Please include a credit list explaining what you did on your reel and what software (if applicable) was used to achieve the effects
- Demo reels should be well edited and concise (less than 5 minutes).
- ANIMATORS NOTE: Please include all traditional work (life drawings, pencil tests, etc.) either on your reel or with your portfolio
Please be sure your portfolio is clearly labeled with your name, address and telephone number on both the inside and outside.
All portfolios should contain the following:
- Samples of your recent work
- Life Drawings
- Rough Sketches of animals and humans in movement
- Samples of your color and design sense
- We prefer artists to limit their portfolios to 20 pieces representing their strongest current work.
- Do not send original copies of your work as it will not be returned