Sony Pictures Imageworks is looking for software engineers to join our Vancouver, Canada development team. The position requires strong software development skills, expertise in one or more programming languages, and the ability to design high quality, robust, and easy to maintain code and tools. The engineer is primarily responsible for development and implementation of production and studio tools under the guidance of a departmental lead. This position requires collaboration with other engineering staff, project managers, and production artists to develop and implement innovative studio capabilities.
Our desktop applications are proprietary software designed for various production pipelines like: reviewing digital media, editorial, scheduling, render farm management, searching asset libraries and others. These applications along with other smaller apps are heavily integrated with proprietary and third party tools and systems.
- Knowledge of user interface design and standard UI toolkits, specifically QT/PyQT
- Experience programming in Python
- Experience with UNIX / Linux
- Ability to design and implement systems in a complex environment
- Proven ability to deliver high quality software in a fast paced, dynamic environment
Nice to have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- CG and VFX industry experience
- Experience with OpenGL and other popular multimedia frameworks
- Experience with image decoders and video codecs
Full time 3-7 years of experience creating libraries, custom plug-ins and UI tools for Animation or Visual Effects.
Who we are:
The Dev Group acts as authors, collaborators and gatekeepers of the Imageworks pipeline and software. We work with productions to develop tools and technology that make our images great. Our engineering expertise spans the entire artist workflow, as well as the tools Imageworks uses to manage its assets and track it’s productions. We have a variety of technical challenges and are looking for individuals from varying backgrounds and expertise to provide diverse voices for creative engineering solutions.
If you are interested in things like:
- Managing huge environments made up of thousands of assets, and determining how best to interact with them in a software package like Maya, with multiple departments modifying the scene simultaneously.
- Writing tools and Maya plugins for the creative manipulation of hair and cloth simulated elements.
- Integrating Houdini and Maya tools into our fx pipeline.
- GPU implementations for visualization of assets.
- Core technology growth in our Katana lighting tool, working closely with The Foundry’s Katana engineers.
- Reducing the time to first pixel as well as finding efficiencies through more streamlined toolsets.
- Using new distributed databases to solve multi-facility, multi-master database problems.
- Managing and assigning hundreds of terabytes of storage efficiently relative to data type.
- Making the most efficient use of thousands of cores when very disparate jobs need to run on them simultaneously.
- Writing a distributed multi-site asset management system.
- Ongoing contributions to open source projects like OpenColorIO, OpenImageIO, OSL, Alembic, and more.
If interested please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.